Everyone needs a friend! Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaii matches children in one-to-one friendships with trained volunteer mentors based on interests, geographic locations, and personal preferences.
Matches enjoy activities in the community twice per month for a few hours each time. Mentors take the time to listen, encourage, and model positive behavior. Each match is professionally supported by a Case Manager / Match Coach who is there to answer questions, provide guidance and ensure safety.
The power of mentorship is the ability to help youth reach their fullest potential.
Anyone can be a mentor. It is about starting a consistent friendship and inspiring positive change to empower children to believe they can achieve what they never dreamed possible. You can simply incorporate your Little into your everyday life: play sports together, picnic in the park, take your dog for a hike or go to the beach. Being a Big will be one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling things you do, while also being a force of change in our community. And the best part is, it’s a lot of fun!
- Ages 18+
- Come from a variety of backgrounds, careers, education levels, cultures, marital statuses, etc.
- Carefully interviewed by staff and trained by the agency
- Have the desire to become a friend to a child in need of friendship - not a tutor, substitute parent, counselor, babysitter, or disciplinarian
It’s a big step for your little one. But we assure you it’s the right one. By enrolling your child with Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaii, you give them a chance to see their unlimited potential and develop into even more responsible, successful, well-rounded individuals.
- Ages 6-18
- We give priority to families who are of Hawaiian ancestry, live in poverty, have recently immigrated, or have a single, deployed, foster or incarcerated parent. We also give precedence to children and youth that have been abused, neglected, or involved with the juvenile justice courts.
- Youth are typically in need of friendship, guidance, and self enrichment.
- Be on the island for at least the next 16 months
- Provide their Match Coach with monthly updates